4th Year Design Studio, Casagrande
Midterm Critic Requirements,
1. Individual presentation of Local Knowledge research in the Datun River valley
- Interviews of the local people done individually or in small groups
• Analyze of the interviews, what is your own image of the realities of the location
- Interviews and interactions with the local people and environmental site specific conditions about your individual SITE of design
• What are the local site specific environmental conditions and how have you been researching them
(interviews, photo documentation, sketching, mapping, walking, being on site, testing with models etc.)
- Personal mapping
• Map of the Datun River valley
• World maps
• First line of the World
⇒ What is the connection between the SITE, WORLD and DESIGN
2. Sketching in the ruin
- What do you understand about the ruin condition: architecture has become part of nature
- How can you make a new design respecting the ruin values, architecture and nature together
⇒ What is your design solution (sketch) for ruin
3. Design: New Farm House
- How is the Local Knowledge research and understanding of the ruin condition (architecture + nature) being present in your design and design process?
- What are the site-specific conditions that are generating your architecture?
• Big site plan of how is your place located in the valley
• Possibly big sections
• Local site plan describing the relationship between your architecture and the site
• Possibly site sections
• Principal sketch drawings of the architectural solutions: plans, sections, facades, structures, materials…
• Working model. This can be purely conceptual, even artistic.
• Photos, drawings, paintings or other illustrations describing your feelings and processing of architecture.
- How is your new house part of nature?
4. Design: Shelter
- How are you going to realize your personal shelter in your site
- What is the connection between your shelter and the New Farm House design?
- How is your shelter supposed to help you in researching the site-specific conditions?
• Sketches and model
DESIGN A SHIRT:
- C-LAB (or C-Laboratory)
- LOCAL KNOWLEDGE
• Can be T-Shirt, long sleeves or with hood
• Black, red or white